Monday, May 21, 2012

Humanely Slaughtered Meat

After watching a documentary, "Earthlings", last week and my world being opened up to the awful animal treatment all around the globe, and specifically in our slaughter houses, it got me really thinking about the meat I eat.  While I think vegetarians are great for not eating meat, I don't believe it's necessary to give up eating meat in order to do it right.  I believe there are a few key components to eating meat right:
a) knowing how many slaughter houses are run and operate without any regard for the animal
b) educating yourself and others about the inhumane treatment of the animals
c) understanding where the meat you are eating is coming from- conducting the necessary research and taking appropriate action to purchase meat from reputable farmers, slaughter houses, stores or butchers
All these animals get to be out to pasture for their lives

It can be done.  I've begun my search, and I've contacted around ten different farmers and butcher who raise grass fed/organic/pasture livestock and asked them if their fair and humane treatment of their animals is then carried forward into the slaughter process.  So far, I have only received two responses- however, being a long weekend I assume many of them are enjoying some time off.  I look forward to hearing from the remainder of the farmers and butchers I contacted to know where I can purchase humanely treated and likely healthier meats.

Ignorance helps no one.  Many people I have spoken to about this have wanted to remain ignorant to the treatment of the meat they eat.  The typical responses I've heard are, "I don't want to hear those details", "it's been happening for years, you aren't going to change it now", "you've watched a documentary and read some research but that doesn't mean it's all true- you're brainwashed".  The people that don't want to hear about it don't like hearing that animals are treated so inhumanely and with such disregard for their well being and comfort, yet don't want to know enough about it to feel like they are ignoring it.  They don't want to put in the work that's involved in understanding the problem.  And many have said they don't want to pay any extra money or take any extra time to purchase their meat from a more reputable source.  That's the wrong attitude.  If you know there is a problem, that you can avoid and perhaps be a front runner to demand change- why ignore it? 

So, I'll be continuing the research and waiting to hear back from the other farmers and butchers I've contacted.  I'll update the resources section with the farmers/butchers who have humane slaughter practices in effect at their locations.  This has become a very serious and important cause for me that I'll be ensuring I do as much as I can to correct.

For now, I suggest everyone watch "Earthlings"!

No comments:

Post a Comment