Monday, May 28, 2012

Solar-Powered Flying

In this weekend's "metro" (our free local newspaper in Toronto), there is an article all about a Swiss solar-powered airplane aiming to take a round the world trip.  Perhaps I'm not at as educated in the environmentalism broad spectrum as I thought I was, because I had no idea solar-powered airplanes existed.  What a great thing!
Naturally, the 63-meter wingspan plane has run into some complications and delays due to weather- as the plane is not designed to fly through clouds.  I guess this wouldn't make the plane a reliable mode of transportation for those wanting to go on vacation or other time sensitive destinations, but rather for the flying hobbyist.  And apparently to fly around the world!

Though I understood that solar power was taken from the sun and converted into power, I was never sure exactly how this was done.  Trusty Google to the rescue again (what would we do without Google?), was able to answer my question: how does solar power work?  And sent me to this website which explained to me that, "a solar power system uses photovoltaic (PV) technology to harness the sun's rays, converting sunlight photon energy into electrical current. Solar power panels produce energy from daylight, not direct sunlight, so they still produce electricity on cloudy or overcast days. Solar power can be used directly in your home to power lights and appliances – or exported to the electricity grid. ... The solar panels contain two layers of silicon, one with a positive charge and one with a negative charge. When the sun's rays land on a panel, electrons move from one layer to another, creating an electrical current. The inverter takes the current and converts in into usable power."

And for the visual learners:

No comments:

Post a Comment